Wednesday, March 5, 2008

dog

meet mrs. beasley, AKA weenie/weiner/weewee /beenie/beaner/bee. if you havent guessed already, she is a Shar-pei and clearly in this photo, she has just finished eating. she likes running around outside, she loves kisses and hugs and loves "hunting". just outside in the backyard. she is very athletic and likes to catch birds, varmints, and in general, anything that wanders into her domain where they arent supposed to be. she has a mind of her own and her own agenda. she is smart and doesnt fall for the usual tricks.


this is what she looked like when we first brought her home. cute huh? she is AKC registered, and is the great grand daughter of BIS, BISS, AKC and Canadian Ch. Shenanigans Storm Surge and CH Bahwindsor Wudn't Itbe Luvly. She is looking for a stud in case anyone is interested.


this is jack. he is just a mutt. he is big and red. he was a pound puppy. he is afraid of his own shadow. but he likes to "hunt" things too. he also likes to snoop and he likes to sleep. he can sleep all day in one spot if you let him. he hates being outside, especially in cold or wet weather. (not so with mrs. beasley)

he likes to eat too. one day, after our pest control lady was here, jack found a black rubber glove sitting on the step outside my old office. it was left there at my instruction to the pest control lady. she was rodent hunting that day and left me with some extra bait. she had carefully wrapped them inside a rubber glove and tied off the end for me.

i forgot about it.

too tired to cook, we packed up and left to go out to dinner that evening. I noticed the black glove out of the corner of my eye and my brain told me it was my black winter gloves. I left them lay there. it wasnt that cold out. when we got home a couple hours later, we found cookie crumbs ALL OVER THE FLOOR everywhere. my mind is thinking he got into the dog cookies. again.

but no, quickly my mind told me that was not cookie crumbs. it was rodent bait. and if mice think it tastes good enough to eat, then dogs certainly will too.

he ate it all. a whole rubber glove full. it explained the shredded pieces of rubber glove here and there too.

to shorten the story - i called poison control and we called vets and not even our own vet would take him in for an emergency (well he would have if he hadnt sold it to a young new vet who doesnt know anything about customer service or the love of his trade) - he wanted to send us to Akron (hello an hour away!)

We found another doc in town - an old timer who is old school and if your animal is hurting, he is there to help no matter what. he told us to use a turkey baster to force feed jack with peroxide to induce vomiting...riiiiight.

he met us at his office- gave jack this little tiny pill that he put inside his eyelid - weird right? Instant vomit. I'm telling you - there was mouse bait all over the place within seconds.

he's ok now. i think he would have been ok anyway - he's the size of a horse.

so thats my dog story. i was reminded (thanks YB/KB) that I had forgotten to write about it as i said i would in my "roach post"

4 comments:

  1. I loooooove aminals! I have my little yorkie Toby and my big fat cat, Fluffawuffagus,(Fluffy for short). They were aquired aither by luck or rescue. I'm glad your doggie was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fluffawuffagus! thats original and so fun to say! Herrrrrre fluffawuffagus! it doesnt quite roll off the tongue - but i like saying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember the Snuffaluffagus from Sesame Street?? That's where it came from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a story! I can't imagine life without my doggie. So glad it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete